Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A fear that has plagued me since I discovered I hated the thought of a Graphic Design career.

I just read the first chapter of my Foundations of Education textbook.
Am I cut out to be a teacher? Or will this be just another failed attempt?
Another degree that will gather dust?

You see, I have a problem.
I have not discovered my "passion."
All I actually know is that I feel best when I'm helping others feel good... when I'm helping others succeed.

I also know that I love love love the written word.
And I love love love the visual world.

This brings me to the possibility of two things.
Art Education (which really would play nicely into my adoration of all things art history).
English (Secondary Education).

Getting an English degree would be easier and more convenient than Art Education, but art has grabbed me. I love the creativity of others. I admire it for them.

But there's also so much creativity in English.
Writing is its own art form.
(Arabs had it right when they created their calligraphy. Words should be pretty.)


Then again, how am I to know if teaching is right for me. Maybe it would drain me. Maybe I would hate the kids. (I mean, I know I want to work with HS students because at least I can swear at them if they're bratty! Haha.)

I don't know if I'm wasting my time and I don't know if I have the energy or the money to keep going. I am so exhausted. I have no idea how people can work full time and go to school full time!
(Kudos to you, Kristi!)

I'm just so afraid that I'm wasting my time.
I might take next semester off, just to let all this thinking sink in throughly.
But first, I have to get through this semester successfully.

Which means I have to stop typing, for now, and go do a discussion board question.
And watch a teaching video.

No comments: