Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup

Yeah, I know... it seems really basic. But a good chicken noodle soup is a necessity.

Really Yummy Chicken Noodle Soup
(This is one of my more time consuming ones. It takes at least an hour and a half and that's if you're really skilled at tearing apart super hot chicken. I'd figure more like 2 hours.)

- 4 lbs of chicken drumsticks and thighs (skin on, bone in)
- two 32 oz boxes of chicken broth (I had this on hand, but I didn't use it all)
- 3-4 carrots
- 3-4 stalks of celery
- 1 onion
- 12 oz bag of egg noodles
- salt and pepper to taste
- love

Ok, so what you're going to do is this:

1 - Boil the chicken in water for 1 hour and 15 minutes (or until it's cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees -- meat thermometers rock). Just add enough water to cover the chicken... and part way through the boiling process, I'd recommend checking the water level. Add a cup or two halfway through the process if needed. This will create some broth. Really good broth that will be a base for the store bought stuff in boxes. Oh yeah, KEEP THE POT COVERED. Also, boiled chicken smells kind of weird when it first starts cooking.

1a - While the chicken is cooking... chop up the carrots, celery and onion. I hate chopping onion, but it must be done.

2 - When the chicken is done, remove it with a slotted spoon. Place it on a plate to cool and skim all the chicken skin/pieces out of the broth left in the pot (there will not be a LOT of liquid left and that's ok -- that's why you bought those extra boxes of broth anyway).

3 - Add about two cups of water and the store bought broth -- bring to a boil. I eyeballed it. I knew I was going to be adding the veggies and noodles, so I added enough liquid to cover all that. I don't like my soup brothy, so if you LOVE broth... add both boxes of broth.

4 - Start pulling the skin off the chicken and discard it. Your hands are about to get real greasy and disgusting. It's worth it, I promise. Pull all the chicken off the bones. This chicken will be going back in the soup in a few minutes. (Try not to cuss too much... the chicken will be hot.) Discard the bones as well, or give them to a happy puppy if you feel the need.

5 - When the broth is boiling, add the chopped up veggies. Simmer the veggies for 15 minutes. After those 15 minutes, add the noodles and cook according to package directions. Add chicken just before serving. Sprinkle in salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: