Tuesday was Chicken Curry night, tonight was Garlicky Lemony Pasta (this is my official name for it). Both were pretty delicious. I figured, since I haven't updated much lately, I'd take this opportunity to share some recipes with you.
First, the chicken curry.
It takes me about an hour and 30 minutes to make. This is because of all the chopping. I am not super fast and I find that cutting raw chicken breast into cube-like structures is difficult. If you buy the chicken tenders, it's a bit easier.
2 pounds skinless chicken breast
2-3 onions, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cloves minced garlic
1/3 teaspoon ground ginger
1.5 teaspoon paprika
3.5-4.5 tablespoons curry powder (depending on how spicy you like it)
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you want more spice)
1.5 tablespoon tomato paste
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup olive oil
chicken broth (plus water, if needed) to cover
brown or white rice (instant is easiest)
1. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, ginger, paprika, curry powder, sugar and salt. Mince garlic and set aside.
2. Fry the onions in olive oil until browned. Add the spice mixture and garlic. Continue stirring for 2 minutes. Mixture will become much like a paste.
3. Add chicken pieces and tomato paste. Add enough water to just cover the chicken. Simmer until chicken is done, about 20 minutes. (Now is a good time to start the rice.)
4. Just before serving, add the lemon juice and the cayenne pepper. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve over rice.
Once you have everything cut up (and the spices mixed together), it really only takes about half an hour to make.
The Garlicky Lemony Pasta is as follows (and is super easy to make and very fresh/light tasting).
about 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (two lemons)
about 2 teaspoons grated orange zest (one orange)
4 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup chopped parsley (I'm told spinach is good, I'm also sure basil would be fantastic)
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice (I just squeezed both lemons over the bowl)
a sprinkle of salt (I like to keep this minimal and allow each person to salt to taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1 lb linguine
1. In a small bowl, mix grated lemon and orange zests, garlic, parsley (or substitute), lemon juice, salt, pepper and oil.
2. Cook the linguine until done. Drain and toss with sauce.
Yes... it's that easy. It would be great as a side with chicken. I baked some tomatoes with some parmesan cheese, oregano and olive oil. Tonight was meatless.
In fact, I believe my entire day was... weird.
Back to the recipe. I might try making extra sauce one of these days and marinate some chicken in it... see what happens.
So tomorrow, I work late (until 6)... so this will probably be all the cooking I do for the week. And I have very little else to share.
I might be seeing Post Grad this weekend. There's also the company picnic. And reading. I plan on finishing "Fishbowl" at some point this weekend.
Ok, so... bye.