Monday, June 29, 2009

The DC Trip


Mothman
Originally uploaded by christina85
Ok, so I arrived in DC on Friday night. We decided to get beer. We hung out at the house & watched Fight Club since I had never seen it before. It was very weird... which was to be expected from a Palahnuik. We went to bed.

Well, I slept on the loveseat and I actually got a good night's sleep.

All the girls in the house are lovely.
Oh, and I was in love with the bathroom... maybe not the dirty shower curtain, but whatever. It wasn't disgusting, haha.

Anyway... Saturday we left the house around 11:30. I rode the Metro. This was quite an experience. I've never ridden a subway before -- The cars sway. I was not a huge fan and made a note of this for next time: bring dramamine.

We got off the metro and took a bus to shop in Georgetown. I spent way too much. It was fantastic. I spent approximately $20 on a few sheets of big paper at Paper-Source. (Hopefully I get a creative streak soon... on a day off so I can draw or paint on this. The paper is awesome and natural and it will be so much fun to work with.) I also bought a cute reusable bag that rolls up real small to fit in your purse. This will come in handy whenever I go shopping. No more plastic bags! Save the environment! GO GREEN!

Another highlight was this cute little used bookstore where I found an artist book on Egon Schiele.

OH, and if you're EVER in DC, you must must must find Raku and eat the Pad Thai. AMAZING. Seriously. I will eat there next time I visit.
There was also a yogurt place we stopped at... and I cannot remember what it was called for the life of me.

Let's see, what else happened? Oh, yes. LUSH!
I stumbled upon a Lush store in Georgetown. I said "Ohmygod, wehavetogoinhere." Both of us spent far too much on soapy products. It's so worth it though, my hair smelled delicious after I wiped Godiva all over it. I also love Karma and Sexy Peel something or other soap.

Anyway, until we were done shopping, most of the museums were closed, so we headed back to the house and we hung out again... went to a mall to grab some food and Noodles and Company (I love this place simply because they sell buttered noodles). Then we went back to the house and watched The Little Mermaid and discussed life in general.

I was up until 2 am. This is both unusual and awesome.

Sunday, I was awake at 6:45. The sun was beating in the window at me. It was lovely, but it was way too early. I couldn't fall back asleep, so I watched some news until someone else woke up. We went to get brunch with a few other people and I paid $18 for an omelet. It was a good omelet, but I'm pretty sure this purchase was the only shocker.

After being raped for an omelet, we hit up the Hirshhorn. I love modern art. Jasper Johns, Alberto Giacometti, Robert Rauschenberg, Alexander Calder, Sol Lewitt, Willem de Kooning, so many others. Oh, it was a mindgasm. I loved the fact that you can see imperfections in the actual artist pieces. It makes me feel better that it wasn't perfect... it only looks perfect in a textbook because they have to shrink it down.

The Hirshorn was fantastic.

I didn't take many photos while I was in DC. When I was at the Hirshhorn, I turned the camera on and all of the sudden my batteries were low. Besides, most of what I looked at was inside and there were museum workers everywhere! I didn't really feel like being chastised for taking photos. I wasn't sure of the policy.

After the Hirshhorn, we hit up Eastern Market. I found some cool little glass slides for my photographer of a father, but I think I appreciated them more than he did. Anyway, I kind of thought that make they'd make good coasters too. Useful art. By the time we got back to the house, it was time for me to hit the road.
It was a fantastic weekend. SO much fun and just what I needed.

This whole trip reminded me that life is only as fun, exciting and fulfilling as you make it.
Not a bad lesson learned for a two day trip. :)

PS: There were so many people everywhere! I felt so small town. No one makes eye contact or really interacts with anyone spontaneously. It was strange for me, as a small town girl, to be walking down a street and not smiling and greeting everyone I passed.

(click here for more p365 photos)

No comments: